After a great opening week of college football, here are my personal picks for the top 25.
1. Alabama (1-0) Last Week: 41-14 win against Michigan
The number one team in my poll scored the week’s most impressive victory, with a complete dismantling of the Big Ten contending Wolverines. Nick Saban appears to have made up for the Crimson Tide’s numerous defensive losses as they picked off Denard Robinson twice.
This Week: vs. Western Kentucky
2. USC (1-0) Last Week: 49-10 win against Hawaii
The Trojans redeem season got off to a big bang. Matt Barkley looks headed to the Heisman ceremony already with four touchdown throws and Marqise Lee led the receiving attack with ten catches for 197 yards.
This Week: vs. Syracuse
3. LSU (1-0) Last Week: 41-14 win against North Texas
Last year’s National Championship runner-up handled business in week one. Kenny Hilliard and Alfred Blue both had 100 yard rushing games, setting the precedent to perhaps take the pressure off of new quarterback Zack Mettenberger.
This Week: vs. Washington
4. Oregon (1-0) Last Week: 57-34 win against Arkansas State
The score was closer then the totality of the game really was, with the Ducks putting up 50 before half. Redshirt freshman Marcus Mariota had a coming out party under center, going 18-22 for 200 yards and three touchdowns.
This Week: vs. Fresno State
5. Florida State (1-0) Last Week: 69-3 win against Murray State
The Seminoles went through the motions and handled the Racers with ease. This week, they get a Savannah State team that lost 84-0 to Oklahoma State, so expect more of the same in Tallahassee.
This Week: vs. Savannah State
6. Oklahoma (1-0) Last Week: 24-7 win at UTEP
If a few field goals went through the uprights for the Miners, this game might have been different. It seems like the Sooners slept walked through their opener on the road, something they will need to correct for Big 12 play in two weeks.
This Week: vs. Florida A&M
7. South Carolina (1-0) Last Week: 17-13 win at Vanderbilt
Kicking off the college football season on Thursday night, the Gamecocks had more trouble then expected in their first SEC game on the road. Still, Marcus Lattimore toted the ball 23 times for 110 yards and two scores and SC escaped 1-0.
This Week: vs. East Carolina
8. Arkansas (1-0) Last Week: 49-24 win against Jacksonville St.
The Razorbacks were another SEC team that had some struggles, at least early on, down 14-7 in the opening minutes of the second quarter. Four unanswered touchdown drives orchestrated by Tyler Wilson put the game away and made the early deficit a distant memory.
This Week: vs. Lousiana Monroe
9. Georgia (1-0) Last Week: 45-23 win against Buffalo
In the Bulldogs, we find yet another SEC team that had early difficulties. Buffalo was in the early driver’s seat, having a 243-188 yard advantage at the half. Talent prevailed at the end and Aaron Murray passed for three touchdowns.
This Week: at Missouri
10. Michigan State (1-0) Last Week: 17-13 win against Boise State
The stifling 2011 Spartans defense appeared to be reincarnated in 2012, after MSU held the Broncos to just 206 total yards. Sparty had an offensive star emerge too, with tailback Le’Veon Bell rushing 44 times for 210 yards and two touchdowns.
This Week: at Central Michigan
11. Clemson (1-0) Last Week: 26-19 win against Auburn
This Week: vs. Ball State
12. West Virginia (1-0) Last Week: 69-34 win against Marshall
This Week: bye week
13. Wisconsin (1-0) Last Week: 26-21 win against Northern Iowa
This Week: at Oregon State
14. Michigan (0-1) Last Week: 41-14 loss against Alabama
This Week: vs. Air Force
15. Oklahoma State (1-0) Last Week: 84-0 win over Savannah State
This Week: at Arizona
16. Texas (1-0) Last Week: 37-17 win against Wyoming
This Week: vs. New Mexico
17. Notre Dame (1-0) Last Week: 50-10 win against Navy
This Week: vs. Purdue
18. Nebraska (1-0) Last Week: 49-20 win against Southern Miss
This Week: at UCLA
19. Kansas State (1-0) Last Week: 51-9 win against Missouri State
This Week: vs. Miami, Fl
20. Virginia Tech (1-0) Last Week: 20-17 win against Georgia Tech
This Week: vs. Austin Peay
21. Ohio State (1-0) Last Week: 56-10 win against Miami (OH)
This Week: vs. UCF
22. Utah (1-0) Last Week: 41-0 win against Northern Colorado
This Week: vs. Utah State
23. Stanford (1-0) Last Week: 20-17 win against San Jose State
This Week: vs. Duke
24. Louisville (1-0) Last Week: 32-14 win against Kentucky
This Week: vs. Missouri State
25. Auburn (0-1) Last Week: 26-19 loss against Clemson
This Week: at Mississippi State